Cemetery Minutes 15 September 2016

PONTELAND TOWN COUNCIL
CEMETERY COMMITTEE
15 September 2016
Councillor R G Ramsay (Chairman)
Present – Councillors Mrs C Caisley, P Cowey and Mrs C Greenwell

1. Apologies for Absence
An apology for absence was received from Councillor C Rawlings.

2. Minutes of last meeting
Copies of the minutes of the last meeting held on 21 June 2016 had been circulated and were approved.

3. Matters Arising
(i) Headstone Survey
An exercise to assess the stability of all the headstones was still to be carried out by the Cemetery contractor and Councillor Ramsay. It had already been agreed that any major issues would be noted and letters would be sent out to families either from NCC or PTC.
Councillor Mrs Caisley had supplied a photograph of a particular headstone that did not appear to be on a concrete plinth; the Committee had made and inspection at their recent site meeting and agreed to inform the family to contact the funeral director who arranged for its installation. This was in accordance with the contract for the plot signed by the Trustee.

(ii) Records meeting/presentation re digital records
Members asked the Clerk to arrange a presentation of a digital record keeping product; utilised and recommended by various local authorities for their Cemetery records.

Cllr Ramsay had met with NCC to view the cemetery records. This was in order to determine plot availability etc. Copies of the information were circulated for information. A digital copy would be supplied to the Clerk.

(iii) Decoration on graves
NCC agreed with the Committee that each case should be dealt with on an individual basis; and that every effort should be made to contact the Trustee if it was found that the decoration was reported inappropriate or causing a nuisance.

The Town Council only held partial records of the Trustees of those persons buried in the cemetery. It was suggested that a Town Council employee be given the task of sourcing the necessary information to complete these records.

(iv) Landscaping proposals
At the last meeting the Committee agreed to adopt the landscaping contract and to seek quotes for the work.
Contract documentation was in preparation, to be issued within the next 4 weeks. An advert seeking expressions of interest from local contactors was to be posted on the Town Council website.

Members agreed that withdrawal of the tree provision in the woodland area would take place as from 1st October. NCC & undertakers were to be informed along with the revised fees as previously agreed.

Investigations to identify a supplier of concrete blocks for flat name plates in the woodland area were ongoing.

A meeting was to be arranged with NCC as soon as possible, to discuss the Pre-purchase of woodland plots, to include an entry on the memorial wall in that area, and the possibility of the burial of ashes in the woodland area.

Consideration of policies regarding the memorial wall in the garden area and the scattering of ashes were to be discussed at a future meeting.

Consideration of the employment of a part-time contractor was to be deferred to a future meeting.

(v). Conference report
Initial discussions were still to take place with St Mary’s and the Holy Saviour churches regarding their volunteer clean up sessions. A report was to be submitted to a future meeting.
The Clerk agreed to send a letter to a number of grant making bodies to find out availability of funds and their purpose.

(vi). Financial Update
The Chair provided a verbal update for Members regarding the Cemetery income for the first quarter 2016-17 and expenditure to date.

RESOLVED – The information be received.

IT WAS RESOLVED THAT UNDER THE PUBLIC BODIES (ADMISSION TO MEETINGS) ACT 1960 THAT THE PRESS AND PUBLIC BE EXCLUDED FOR THE FOLLOWING ITEM ON THE GROUNDS OF THE CONFIDENTIAL NATURE OF THE BUSINESS TO BE TRANSACTED.

6 Date of next meeting

The next formal meeting would be on Tuesday 6th December.

It was noted that an additional meeting towards the end of October would probably be required and a suitable date would be agreed by email.

Meeting closed at 11.10 am

 
 

Share this Post